- Block Drivers are act as conduit between core memory and secondary storage.
- There is a virtual memory layer between core memory and secondary storage.
- Block Layer could be seen as a part of virtual memory subsystem.
- Block driver provides access to devices that transfer randomly accessible data.
- Block Driver controls the block layer, makes decision about collecting bytes into group of bytes, handle interaction between virtual layer and block layer, block layer and block devices.
- Block Driver collect chunks of bytes into blocks.
- As almost every block device consist of file system also. Therefore block device driver must take care of file system.